Sunday, March 11, 2007

Beware the Ides of March (yeah right)

Personally, I despise anything Shakespeare. Now I have nothing against the writer, but I am disappointed in most of my high school teachers for making us remember this "junk" when I have yet to use anything Shakespeare to make a living.

Ok now that the venting is over, earnings watch for this week and remember, it's options expiration's week.

Tues - GS
Wed - CLHB, LEH
Thur - ARD, BSC, LGND
Fri - ANN

ETF watch:
XLB - DOW, WY, IP, AA, DD (Basic Materials)
XLP - PG, MO, KO, WAG, WMT (Consumer Staples)

Since the market meltdown of 2000, I use the three broker's earnings reports as a proxy for the next quarter's general trend. It's more of a feel than science since I frequently trade the three brokers in order to capture part of their ranges.

As for the ETF's, if this is the beginning of a prolonged decline, there aren't too many places to hide, since historically 90% of all sectors will show a negative return in a bear market. While I don't know if were headed in that direction, my instincts tell me that these two will be the last ones to drop.

This weekend, one of the ladies went shopping at DDS. Note to self, it's usually a good sign at least for this week.

Ironically, we both talked about FD, since she likes the shoe department at Macy's and I like to browse their men's store every two weeks. It was packed at our mall store. While most Americans despise paying retail for anything especially apparel, here is one good reason why we do pay retail: because some of their clothes last several years even after 50 spins in the washer/dryer. Yes there are things you can scrimp on, but since I still work in an office environment, it's either bend to the office dress code, or pack your stuff. Naturally, the running joke with me is that everytime I go shopping, my friends know I will spend four hours and buy absolutely nothing for myself 90% of the time. As for the other 10%, its usually something for the sister. By the way, also stopped at WSM, same story, 30 min, bought nothing. Ironically, with all the window and mystery shopping I do, I would make a good columnist for Consumer Reports. But of course, if that were ever to happen, a nuclear missile will fly over my home, yeah right.

No comments: